When it comes to hiking trails, few areas of the country have more options available than Colorado. In the Denver area, in particular, there are some really great trails to explore. Before you head out for an adventure, however, it is important to make sure that you are properly prepared. Use the following checklist to put together all of the supplies that you will need for your hike:
* Good hiking shoes or boots. High-quality footwear is essential any time you go for a hike. If your shoes don’t fit correctly or if they don’t provide proper support, you can wind up developing blisters or injuring your feet. Invest in a good pair of hiking shoes or boots with thick soles, plenty of traction, and good support. Although footwear for hiking can be expensive, it usually lasts a long time, making it a good long-term investment – especially if you plan on doing more hiking in the future.
* Snacks. Hiking burns a lot of calories. You should carry nutrient-rich snacks along with you. Foods that are high in protein and packed with vitamins and minerals are a great choice. Try bringing along nuts, protein bars, or trail mix for a quick boost of energy.
* Water. It is extremely important to stay hydrated when you are hiking. Bring plenty of water along with you. If you are going for a long hike, you may also want to bring water purification tablets. That way, you can safely drink water out of the mountain streams.
* Appropriate clothing. You should dress for the weather when hiking in Colorado. Wearing layers is a great option. That way, you can add or remove clothing as needed to maintain the proper body temperature. Remember – temperatures in the Colorado mountains are often much colder than they are at lower elevations. Plan ahead by bringing warm clothing along with you so that you don’t wind up getting chilled.
* Basic safety equipment. It is easy to get lost when you are hiking. Bringing along basic safety equipment like a compass, a firestarter, a small first aid kit, and a mirror to signal for help can go a long way toward ensuring that you stay safe. Also, don’t forget to let someone know where you are going before you head out.
Anytime you go hiking in the Denver, Colorado area, it is important to make sure that you bring all of these essential supplies along with you.